The Stronghold or Caed Nua is located in the Eastern Reach north of Defiance Bay, directly above the Endless Paths of Od Nua. You gain access to the Stronghold by completing the Stewards quest relatively early in your adventure. The Stronghold then becomes the common rally point for your companions and a domain to manage.
They can use this as a base of operations for storage, rest, organization and investment as they desire. The stronghold also has a unique play mechanic surrounding the allocation of resources. This is geared toward making the stronghold a profitable side-venture for the characters. Stronghold provides you with the ability to make large scale changes, undertake special quests, customize the contents of the Stronghold and the surrounding environment, and engage strategic adventures. You can rest at Brighthollow in the Stronghold once it has been repaired.
You may Also Like:
Resting, Storage and Companions
Characters are free to rest in the house, though its default trappings are Spartan at best. The player must purchase bedding in order to gain the normal bonuses earned from rest.
The house contains two containers for easy storage and sorting of extraneous items. The storage chests are located near the entrance.
The player has the ability to swap out existing party members for those left in-waiting. This takes place at a central fountain area, easily located upon entry. Companions and adventurers can also go on off-screen adventures while they are not in the party.
Upgrades and Benefits:
Upgrades are improvements to various parts of the castle, usually to add to the security or prestige of the place. Every upgrade costs money and takes time to build, but as long as the prerequisites are met, there can be as many upgrades building simultaneously as you can afford. The player is not required to be at the Stronghold while the upgrades are under way. Upgrades often serve as prerequisites for other upgrades. Individual sections of the Stronghold can be restored to allow new functionality from the Stronghold.
- Some of the upgrades to your stronghold grant temporary bonuses to your attributes or non-combat skills when you rest there.
Adventures for Idle Companions
- Companions that are recruited, but aren’t in the party, remain at your Stronghold and still gain a fractional amount of experience. While they are idling away at the stronghold, they can take part in their own adventures, earning additional experience for themselves and extra money, items, and reputation bonuses for the party.
- Many of the stronghold upgrades generate ingredients used by non-combat skills.
- Sometimes visitors to your stronghold have rare items for sale, or perhaps they offer you items in return for something else.
- You own all of the surrounding lands near the stronghold and impose a tax on all of the inhabitants.
- The house also has a variety of cosmetic upgrades players can purchase. These have no practical impact on the game.
- Over time, there is a chance for unexpected events to take place at the stronghold. The events are partially dictated by the Prestige and Security of the house, its purchased upgrades, and hirelings in the player’s employ.
- A number of unique events (both positive and negative) may take place with the house at the epicenter. The order or appearance of these events is not predetermined. However, the house’s Prestige and Security are contributing factors in their frequency and generation.
When the Merchant Stalls upgrade has been made, it’s possible to buy goods at the stronghold. Some are more valuable than others and there are even some unique items to buy. Here are all the unique items (see the Armor section of this guide for details) sold by Azzuro, the Rare Item Merchant.