Before diving into clothing, shoes, and headgear, it’s important to understand the fundamentals of the abilities associated with these items. Each piece of gear worn by your Inkling has one main ability attached to it. Gear items also have up to three sub ability slots sub abilities are earned by accruing BP, after which a random sub ability is assigned to the item.
You May Also Know:
- Splatoon 2 – Amiibo Gear Details
- Splatoon 2 – All Sardinium Location Guide
- Splatoon 2 – All Sunken Scroll Location Guide
- Splatoon 2 – How to Defeat Every Boss
- Splatoon 2 – Best Short, Mid and Long Range Loadouts
- Splatoon 2 – Complete Gear Guide
Main abilities are 3 times as potent as sub abilities, so when choosing gear, focus on the main ability, and think of the sub abilities as nice bonuses. Main and sub abilities work together, applying a variety of benefits to your Inkling during Ink Battles.
Clothing, shoes, and headgear items each feature a fixed main ability and up to three sub abilities. Once you have earned enough BP, a sub ability slot is unlocked and a random ability is applied.
Ink Saver (Main)
- Decreases amount of ink consumed by your main weapon.
Ink Saver (Main) decreases the ink usage of your main weapon by up to 60% of its normal usage. This is useful when using roller-based weapons; the ability increases the distance you can roll before refilling your Ink Tank.
Ink Saver (Sub)
- Decreases amount of ink consumed by your sub weapon.
This ability decreases the ink usage of your sub weapon by up to 75% of its normal usage. The sub weapon’s revised ink usage is indicated by a red arrow icon on your character’s Ink Tank.
Ink Recovery Up
- Increases Ink Tank refill rate.
Ink Recovery Up increases your Ink Tank’s refill rate by up to 40%, but only while in squid form. Being in squid form on dry ground does not have an improved effect.
Run Speed Up
- Increases movement speed in Inkling form.
Run Speed Up increases your movement speed by up to 50% when in Inkling form. This affects movement while running and also while firing your weapon. Still, this is one of the more effective abilities, particularly when you’re rushing objectives like Splat Zones during the opening moments of a match.
Swim Speed Up
- Increases movement speed in squid form.
This ability increases squid form movement by up to 25%. Like Run Speed Up, Swim Speed Up comes in handy during those opening moments in a match when you’re pushing toward a stage’s center. It can help you reach objectives or contested areas before your opponents.
Special Charge Up
- Increases Special Gauge fill rate.
Special Charge Up increases the rate at which the Special Gauge fills by up to 30%, allowing for more frequent deployment of specials. But you still need to spread ink to fill that gauge.
- Reduces Special Gauge decrease after getting splatted.
Every time you get splatted, your Special Gauge incurs a penalty, causing it to drop significantly and delaying the deployment of your special. The Special Saver ability reduces this penalty, allowing you to maintain a greater percentage of your filled gauge upon respawning.
- Reduces spawn time after getting splatted repeatedly without splatting any opponents.
Quick Respawn has undergone some changes. Now you only get the benefit of a reduced respawn time if you’ve been splatted multiple times without splatting opponents. This ability reduces the Kill Cam portion of the respawn process.
Quick Super Jump
- Increases Super Jump speed.
Quick Super Jump increases your Super Jump speed by up to double the normal rate, allowing for quicker deployment when jumping to teammates or Squid Beakons.
Sub Power Up
- Increases sub weapon proficiency.
This ability allows you to toss sub weapons farther, which is particularly handy if you’re carrying a short-range main weapon.
Ink Resistance Up
- Reduces damage taken and slowing effect when walking through enemy ink.
You take 50 damage over three seconds while standing in enemy ink. Your movement speed is reduced to 12.5% of normal, and you suffer a 60% reduction in jump speed and height. This ability changes all that. You take a maximum of 25 damage when standing in enemy ink for six seconds. Your movement speed is reduced to 80% normal speed, and your jump speed and height are unaffected.
Bomb Defense Up
- Reduces damage taken via explosions from sub weapons or special weapons.
Consider equipping gear with this ability to reduce the damage incurred from explosive attacks.
- Decreases active time of opponent Point Sensors and other items that reveal locations.
Point Sensors are sub weapons capable of tracking your movements for as long as 10 seconds. Ink Mines can also track your movements if you’re caught in their blast radius. When you’re tracked by these devices, the entire opposing team can see where you are, which puts you at risk.
- Boosts your speed in both Inkling and squid form for the first 30 seconds of a battle.
Opening Gambit increases the Run Speed Up and Swim Speed Up parameters for the first 30 seconds of a match, allowing you to move much faster.
- Boosts ink-recovery rate and weapon ink efficiency for the last 30 seconds of a battle.
This ability gives you a significant boost during the final seconds of each match, increasing Ink Saver (Main), Ink Saver (Sub), and Ink Recovery Up parameters. This makes you less likely to run out of ink, ideal for aggressive last-second pushes during Turf War.
- Fills Special Gauge automatically if your team has fewer active players than the enemy.
Tenacity fills your Special Gauge automatically if your team has more inactive players than the enemy team. A player is flagged as inactive while waiting to respawn inactive players are shown at the top of the screen, represented by squids with X shapes over their eyes.
- Boosts some of your abilities for a short time after respawning.
Comeback increases Ink Saver (Main), Ink Saver (Sub), Ink Recovery Up, Run Speed Up, and Swim Speed Up parameters for 20 seconds after respawning. The decreased ink consumption and increased speed bonuses make you a formidable threat when charging out of your spawn point or Super Jumping to a contested area on the stage.
Description: Leave no trace when swimming in inked ground, though swim speed is slightly reduced.
With Ninja Squid equipped, you leave no trace while swimming on horizontal surfaces and ramps in squid form. However, you’re still visible while swimming on vertical walls. The reduction in swim speed is negligible.
- Reveals the position of the player who splatted you, once you’ve respawned.
Haunt marks the opponent who defeated you with a position-tracking mark for 12 seconds. This mark can be seen by you and your entire team, similar to Point Sensor
- Allows you to track distant players hit with shots from your main weapon.
Thermal Ink lets you track opponents by shooting them with your ink—the target can be seen even when moving behind cover. This ability functions similarly to the Sting Ray, allowing you to tag enemies through solid walls and making it easier to stage ambushes.
- Increases respawn time and Special Gauge spawn penalty for you and any player who splats you.
Think twice before equipping gear with this ability, since it affects you as well as your opponents. When splatted, you and your attacker both incur respawn penalties, increasing the time it takes to get back in the action. You also receive a more severe reduction in your Special Gauge when you respawn.
- Doubles the effect of other gear abilities attached to this gear.
This excellent ability doubles the effectiveness of the Splatfest Tee’s sub abilities. Keep in mind that Ability Doubler is only available as the main ability on the Splatfest Tee, and it only affects the sub abilities that unlock on the Splatfest Tee.
- Hides your Super Jump landing point at longer distances.
Normally when you perform a Super Jump, a marker appears on the ground where you’re about to land, visible to all players, including opponents. Stealth Jump hides this landing-point marker from opponents who are farther away.
- Increases damage dealt to all targets that are not players.
When this ability is equipped, you inflict increased damage to enemy Sprinklers, Squid Beakons, and Splash Walls. This allows you to eliminate these objects quickly, making them less of a nuisance. Object Shredder is also effective when engaging specials like the Baller and Ink Armor.
- Tilting the L Stick during a Super Jump allows you to perform a forward or sideways roll when you land.
Are you paranoid about getting splatted immediately following a Super Jump? Consider equipping gear with this ability to perform an evasive dodge roll upon landing. This won’t necessarily deter enemy ambushes, but it gives you a fighting chance. You must hold the L Stick in the direction you wish to roll during the Super Jump to perform This maneuver.