These encounters occur anywhere and involve two factions or enemy types that have particularly strained or nonexistent diplomatic relations with one another.
Super Mutants versus Ghouls
- Detail: Sit back and watch infected bony fingernails scrape against overly large green hides.
Super Mutants versus Scavengers
- Detail: A one-sided battle, with Super Mutants already victorious and moving back to a nearby stronghold.
Raiders versus Scavengers
- Detail: Come for the fighting. Stay for the loot one of the Scavengers had collected.
Dogs versus Farmers
- Detail: Only the dogs are hostile.
Scavengers versus Robots
- Detail: Both groups are hostile if you barge in uninvited.
Minutemen versus [Other Faction]
- Detail: Once you ally with the Minutemen, you may encounter a group of them defending a settlement from Brotherhood of Steel soldiers, Institute synths or one or more Institute Coursers. Help out your chosen faction.
Brotherhood of Steel versus [Other Faction]
- Detail: Once you ally with the Brotherhood of Steel, you may encounter a group of them defending a settlement from Minutemen, Institute synths or one or more Institute Coursers. Help out your chosen faction.
Minutemen versus (Enemy)
- Detail: Once you ally with the Minutemen, expect to see them defending random locations in the Commonwealth. These small outposts may be attacked by Raiders or Gunners; lend them a hand if you can.
Brotherhood of Steel versus (Enemy)
- Detail: Once you ally with the Brotherhood of Steel, expect to see them at a random location, attacked by Feral Ghouls or Super Mutants.
Institute Relay Ambush
- Detail: If you’ve been kicked out of the Institute and the faction is still active, you may be attacked by teleporting synths as you near a location.
Vicious Dogs versus Bloodbugs
- Detail: A human corpse serves as a rag doll being torn between dogs and bugs, both parties wishing to devour it.
Feral Ghouls versus Raiders
- Detail: A group of wandering corpses do battle against the idiotic wastrels of the Commonwealth.
- Detail: Some lunatic with a sniper rifle enjoys shooting up the location you’re entering.
Ricky Dalton and the Raiders
- Detail: Once Railroad Quest: Tradecraft is complete, you may see him fighting off Raiders.
Gunners versus Children of the Atom
- Detail: Feel free to watch both these enemy factions make (lightly irradiated) mincemeat of each other.
Gunners versus Behemoth or Mirelurk Queen
- Detail: A trio of Gunners are making impressive inroads against one of the Commonwealth’s true giants.
Treasure Hunt Encounters
You find a corpse with a note. If you read it you’ve pointed in the direction of a random location and map marker reveals where steamer trunk is.
A Dead Raider’s Note
- Reward: Caps
A Dead junkie’s Note
- Reward: Chems
A Dead Gunner’s Note
- Reward: Gun and impressive mod
Three Dead Scavengers
- Reward: Scrap and junk.
A Dead farmer’s Note
- Reward: A synth with an impressively modded gun, scrap, and junk in a trunk.
- Reward: This starts Miscellaneous Quest: Treasure of Jamaica Plain.
These events occur in those areas where you have limited maneuverability, such as a bridge crossing.
None Shall Pass!
- Detail: Three Raiders are manning a choke point, demanding Caps for you to pass. Use your speech to reduce the amount; this can allow free passage. You’re attacked if you leave without paying or if you attack them. If you have a Luck of 8 or more and fewer Caps than the Raiders demand, choose the “fake it” option and the Raiders take whatever Caps you have.
Mister Gutsy’s Curfew
- Detail: This robot demands you return to your home. A speech challenge allows you to convince the robot you’re on military business, and you’re let through. Attempt to pass and you’re attacked. If you have Luck of 7 or more, select the same questions for the robot multiple times until it explodes.
Raiders Accosting Farmers
- Detail: Three Raiders are trying to extract a toll from some farmers. Help the farmers out if you wish.
Synth Relay Choke Point
- Detail: If you’ve been kicked out of the Institute and the faction is still active, you may be attacked by teleporting synths (and sometimes a Courser) as you near a choke point.
- Detail: A small group of Minutemen are defending a choke point, once you ally with this faction.
Brotherhood of Steel Defenses
- Detail: A small contingent of Brotherhood soldiers is defending a choke point once the Prydwen arrives. How they react to you depends on how your alliance is going.
- Detail: A small contingent of synths is defending a choke point once Institute Quest: Airship Down is complete. How they react to you depends on how your alliance is going.
- Detail: A group of farmers asks you to holster any weapon you’re carrying. Comply and you can pass. If not, expect hostility.
Super Mutant Blockage
- Detail: A couple of lumbering green mutants are preventing your progress.
Stash, Lexa, and Simon
- Detail: A merchant and two bodyguards are found here, and bartering can occur.
Choke Point Mines
- Detail: Disarm a set of mines at this location, or face a crippling injury.
- Detail: If you completed Side Quest: Last Voyage of the U.S.S. Constitution, some disgruntled Scavengers are furious that you jumped their claim on the ship.
- Detail: If you finished Side Quest: Kid in a Fridge and Bullet is still alive, he may jump you with a couple of cohorts.
If you any companion then you’ll have to face these encounters.
Hunting for Strong
- Companion: Strong
- Detail: You encounter Super Mutants who are looking for Strong once you complete Side Quest: Curtain Call.
- Companion: MacCready
- Detail: A few Gunners are looking for revenge once you slay the Gunner leaders during Side Quest: Long Road Ahead.
- Companion: Nick Valentine
- Detail: After you’re ambushed by Raiders, one realizes who Nick is and the situation turns remarkably less violent. Accept a small collection of items afterward.
One Tough Critic
- Companion: Piper
- Detail: You’re stopped by a group of rough-looking types who are here on behalf of someone Piper wrote an unpleasant article about. They attack, thus proving Piper’s journalistic integrity.
- Companion: Preston Garvey
- Detail: If Preston is your current companion, and you own four settlements, you may encounter an old friend of Preston’s fighting some Raiders. If the chap survives, they reminisce.
Drug Runner Revenge
- Companion: Cait
- Detail: Apparently Cait owes some Raiders Caps for the Jet she bought. They are here to collect. Show them the error of this plan.
Bar Room Buddy
- Companion: Hancock
- Detail: Visit a bar at a settlement, and there’s a chance Hancock recognizes an old friend. They converse.